With the big announcement from Buckingham Palace this week, it’s officially here, Royal Bump Watch 2013 has commenced and the baby world is ABUZZ now that Duchess Kate is expecting.
So the question is, what can we expect to see from this fashion icon’s maternity style? We spent this morning at FOX’s “Good Day Chicago” discussing the possibilities with Anchor, Anna Devlantes and owner of Preggers Maternity, Emily Raisher. We’re in a new century now and Kate’s maternity look is sure to be her own and much different from the days of Princess Diana. Based on today’s maternity trends, here is what we think you can expect from the future Queen of England.
- More bump.Thirty years ago Princess Diana was covering her bump with what looked like over sized moo moos. Today’s expecting mom is embracing her bump and actually flaunting it. Moms-to-be are sporting more form-fitting, flattering looks these days and we would expect to see a little more “bump” from Kate once she’s showing.
- Realistic runway. One thing we love about Duchess Kate is that she doesn’t worry about being seen in the same thing twice. We are constantly seeing her re-wear her couture and we think that’s cool. As any mom-to-be knows, no one wants to spend a ton of money on a whole new wardrobe, so re-wearing and re-purposing take on a whole new meaning. We are sure to see Kate doing what any mom-to-be would do—purchasing a good set of maternity basics and ACCESSORIZING(see #4!)
- Accessories, accessories, accessories! Kate is always simplistically chic and we should expect no different from her now that she is expecting. She’s often photographed wearing her signature LK Bennett nude pumps, and we think she will continue to do so as long as she can with stylish maternity dresses. Similar to other chic expectant moms, Kate will likely showcase her style through her accessories: jewelry, shoes, scarves and handbags paired with the basics.
- Casual Fridays (or any days!) Different from Diana, Kate is a tad more casual. Maternity denim has surged in popularity and we will likely see her often in practical maternity jeans. The Duchess is a fan of J Brand, so we’re sure to see her sporting their Mama J Maternity leggings once she is showing.
- British Brands. Hopefully we’ll see some of our favorite maternity brands from across the pond sharing the spotlight over the next nine months. We love Isabella Oliver, which provides form fitting classic style accentuating the bump. It fits during every stage of pregnancy as it capitalizes on the rushing feature. Seraphine is another favorite British Brand (as seen on Jessica Alba, Kate Hudson and Angelina Jolie) allowing the more casual mom to look put together. Both of these British brands can be found at Preggers Maternityin 900 North Michigan Avenue.
We can’t wait to follow Duchess Kate and see how she will embrace her pregnancy. We’ll be watching 🙂