ENTER TO WIN ONE OF FIVE BRITAX CAR SEATS HERE. Sweepstakes closes at 11:59pm on 9/19/15. Final winner will be posted on SUNDAY.
This week marks Child Passenger Safety Week. Did you know that car seat misuse is above 70% in the United States? According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA):
- Car crashes are a leading case of death for children.
- Every 34 seconds one child under age 13 is involved in a crash.
- From 2009-2013, 3, 335 children under age 13 were killed and an estimated 611,000children were injured in car crashes.
- In 2013 alone, 126,000 children under age 13 were injured as passengers in car crashes.
- In 2013, over one-third (38%) of children (under 13) killed in car crashes were completely unrestrained—they were not in car seats, booster seats or seat belts.
At Bump Club and Beyond we talk about car seat safety and proper usage all year round at our BCBumps Expectant Mom Dinners, BCBrunches for New Parents, Gearapalooza, The Baby Gear Show at Nordstrom and more. In our opinion, car seats are the MOST important purchase you will make for your baby and it is imperative that you know how to use them correctly.
All week long we will be sharing tips from our friends at Britax on our Facebook and Instagram pages. (We’ll also be giving away a Britax Car Seat Tuesday-Saturday at 8:30pm CT.) MOST IMPORTANT is that you as a parent know where to look for information about car seat safety and usage, so we have compiled a list of resources for you.
- SAFEKIDS is one of our favorite resources. You can check their page for recalls, car seat installation tips, and MUCH more safety information for kids, unrelated to car seats.
- THE CAR SEAT LADY is the Child Passenger Safety Technician who trained our own BCB Resident Baby Gear Expert, Jamie Grayson. She runs a comprehensive website dedicated solely to car seat safety.
- Britax TIPS & ADVICE section on their website. This is a great place to go for basic car seat information including flying with your car seat, common misuse, how to adjust your harnesses, knowing when to move seats and much much more.
BCB’s Resident Baby Gear Expert, The BabyGuyNYC Jamie Grayson, always shares one bit of advice when he talks about car seats, and quite honestly, this advice is a great place to start when you open the box of your car seat or any piece of baby gear you purchase: READ YOUR MANUAL. It is in these pages that you will learn about the weight limits, height limits and proper usage of your car seat.
This Saturday, September 19th marks the end of Child Passenger Safety Week with a nationwide car seat check event. Find one near you and make sure that your car seat is installed properly.