We introduced you to a few of our favorite Austin moms earlier this week…and now here is part two! As an ode to one of our favorite cities in the US, we want to take some time today and tomorrow to introduce you to some of our favorite ATX moms. All of these amazing women will be joining us at Gearapalooza this weekend!
We want you to meet…
Name: Robin Smith:
- Bump Club & Beyond, of course!
- The NoseFrida
- Vienna Springs ring sling (when my babies were under 2)
- Barre (can’t be a good mom if you don’t take care of yourself)
- My phone calendar to organize our crazy schedules
We want you to meet…
Name: Jessica Rockowitz
Kids and ages: Hayley (14), Colin (5), and Graham (3)
Where do you live? Austin, TX
What is the best part about where you live? How kid friendly it is, and the year-round sun! After growing up in Boston, I do not take one day of warmth and sunshine for granted.
Favorite thing to do with your kids in your hometown. Swimming! There are so many great neighborhood and public pools here in West Austin. My kids love to swim, and we go way too often in the spring and summer.
Favorite date night in your hometown. Oh gosh, as are boring. I wish I could give you the name of some fancy establishment, but my husband and I are craft beer and taco kind of people. We love heading to South Congress or downtown on Rainey Street and grabbing some bar food.
What are five things that you could not “mom” without? (Products, apps, anything that helps you to be a better mom.
- My mom friends — it takes a village, y’all
- Honest diapers and wipes
- Hand sanitizer
- PBS Kids
- Pouches – yogurt, applesauce, whatever. My kids run on pouches.
When you have time to yourself, what do you like to do.
Read, watch Netflix, and edit photos. I’m a total photography nerd and love my job too much.
Who are your “mom idols”? (Moms you look up to as women and parents.) You know, I don’t know if I have any. I think we are all just winging it, and i think we each have our strengths. But one person that comes to mind is my college roommate, Ashley. She was — and still is — a fantastic mom. All single moms and moms of special needs children are also women I look up to for their strength. Mom’ing is hard, but mom’ing solo and/or with a special needs child is harder.
What is one piece of advice for new moms that you wish someone told you before motherhood. Let go of the guilt. You will feel it no matter what decisions you make for your kids. As long as your kids are happy, healthy, and safe, there is no wrong way to parent.
Tell us a little bit about your blog/IG account/online persona and what is your mission behind it (we want to urge our readers to follow you!) I started off as an Austin mommy blogger sharing all about life in Austin with our slightly non traditional family. I’m a former teen parent (had my oldest at 17) and put myself through college and grad school. We now have three kids, and I have since become a professional photographer! My passion is to support young moms and women led businesses. Shopping small is close to my heart! My middle child also has ADHD, and i am very transparent about the struggles we have faced with him as we’ve navigated various therapies and supplements. You can find Jessica on Instagram @jessicarockawitz.
We want you to meet…
Name: Kaylee Baggerly
Kids and ages: Adelaide, 17 months
Where do you live? Austin, TX
What is the best part about where you live? Austin is really a big small town. Everyone knows everyone somehow and the focus is on family and friendship here. We love that you can have fancy or chill great food, a beautiful trip to a local spring fed pool, a hike up through the green belt ‘forests’, a drink at a fantastic winery/brewery/cidery and still come home all within the same day.
Favorite thing to do with your kids in your hometown. I love to take my daughter to play at the Hive, on walks around our neighborhood green belt and to try out new parks and splash pads!
Favorite date night in your hometown. My husband and I love Winebelly and Fabi + Rosi; we spend our date nights enjoying our favorite food and a bottle of wine…and usually come home to snuggle and watch Netflix together. He travels during the week so any time we can just be together is special to us.
What are five things that you could not “mom” without?
- Diaper Cream Applicator(the butt spatula): works to make it so you don’t have to ruin a manicure, don’t add more germs to your baby’s bum, and can get a solid, even amount of cream on baby’s bum after any diaper change. A game changer during teething poos and during hot summer humid months here in Austin. Comes in a regular or travel size with a carry case so you can take it on the go!
- Iplay Baby Swimsuit with a Built-in Diaper (the easiest way to change a diaper with a toddler at the pool or beach): I really struggled with taking Addie to the pool with a million swim diapers that barely held anything in; so when I found this swim suit with a built in diaper, that is super absorbent, cute and PULLS on with sizes 0-24 months, I went for it. It took the stress out of going to splash pads around town after work together!
- Tegu Magnetic Blocks(how I keep my child quietly entertained with minimal clean up when she’s sick at home but I still have conference calls): these come with a travel case and are magnetic so you just bend down one time and they all click together. They come in lots of colors and great for traveling but also great sensory toys that entertain the kids. Who doesn’t think magnets are cool?
- 4. Nuby Sticky Trayand Tommie Tippee Pocket Bib(how I reduce clean up while my toddler throws food everywhere at 6am and I’m trying to get out the door to work): so I had to figure out a fast routine for getting us both out of the door to daycare and/or to an office and found that these trays and bibs are a magic trick. The bibs catch so much food and can be thrown into the dishwasher and sized from 0-24 months. Sometimes Addie digs into her bib for a second helping, too! The tray sticks to the table so she cannot rip it off and throw her full meal on the ground and it also is dishwasher safe. They both come in lots of fun colors as well. Makes breakfast as simple as I could hope for!
- Fawn Design Diaper Bag (a bag that makes being a momma look fashionable): I struggled for a long time to find a diaper bag that was big enough to carry what I needed, small enough to not be too hefty, and cute enough for me to feel somewhat put together when picking my kiddo up from daycare in a suit. This leather diaper bag is a god-send. It has six pockets, can be a saddle bag or backpack, and is simply adorable. I could use it as a backpack for myself I love it so much. I even found a matching one for when Addie is older!
When you have time to yourself, what do you like to do. I like to turn music up loud and sing in my car with the windows down, do hot yoga, do my BBG workouts …and take a bath with a glass of wine! <3
Who are your “mom idols”? I don’t really have one single one. The women in my mom tribe, especially my neighborhood, inspire me every day. They each have unique circumstances and balance crazy careers, multiple children, are healthy and put together, and always look on the bright side. We are truthful about what’s hard, what works and what doesn’t work right now and help each other make the sometimes difficult choices to keep all the balls in the air. I think you become the 5 people you surround yourself with most – and I hope their awesome influence rubs off on me, even in the slightest ways
What is one piece of advice for new moms that you wish someone told you before motherhood. Find time to love yourself. Moms spend so much time worrying and coordinating everyone’s lives – family logistics, school/daycare, pick ups/drop off, meal times, tummy time, you name it – but we need to be able to ask for space and time for ourselves. It doesn’t have to be a lot; but at least something where you can rest and recharge so you can be your best very of yourself. And then, you can also be the best momma you can be.
Tell us a little bit about your blog/IG account/online persona and what is your mission behind it: I am the working momma behind Balancing by Design at instagram handle @kayleemariebaggerly. I coach working mommas on how to balance their life and create the life they want – be it by juggling a demanding career, the trials and tribulations of parenthood, and building and maintaining strong relationships as a wife, sister and friend. To do this, I connect them with resources, products and experiences to design the life they want. My mission is to show women that you can ‘have it all;’ I believe you just cannot do everything well all at the same time and thus may not have every part ‘of it all’ all at the same time.
If you’re in Austin and your an expectant or new parent, don’t miss Gearapalooza on Sunday afternoon! Join us and all of these amazing moms featured here for an amazing day just for you! We’re bringing you the BEST baby gear, products, services + safety information in one action packed event! For more information and registration CLICK HERE.